High performance installations.
The Eurotubi Pressfitting System is made up of steel pipes and fittings with thin walls to create heating and plumbing systems. They are assembled using electro-mechanical pliers. Pressing creates a permanent deformation and the rubber gasket (O-ring) in the end of the fitting guarantees a perfect seal, able to support pressures up to 16 bars and operating temperatures up to 120°C.
Compared to other materials such as plastic, iron, or copper used with traditional technology such as threading or soldering, the metal pressfitting provides numerous advantages and can be used in various applications, in both the civil and industrial sectors, such as: domestic water, gas, heating, air conditioning, cooling, sprinkler fire extinguishing systems, compressed air, solar thermal, etc.
The parts of the system
Eurotubi Pressfitting System fittings are available in 11 diameters, from Ø12mm to Ø108mm in Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel and in two different profiles: M and V. All fittings with ends to be pressed contain a rubber gasket (O-ring), which is available in different types of material depending upon the application. Each fitting has laser or ink marking that can be customized according to the customer’s specifications
The fitting manufacturing process is broken down into the following primary steps:
- cutting the pipe in segments and mechanical processes;
- bending or possible other processes;
- cold forming of the O-ring housing;
- welding of other fitting elements, if applicable;
- thermal solubilisation treatment (stainless steel) or annealing and galvanizing (carbon steel);
- final check and packaging.
All fittings up to Ø54mm are coated at the end with a thin coloured plastic film (sleeve) that helps identified unpressed fittings.
Pipes are available in 11 diameters, from Ø12mm to Ø108mm and in various materials, depending on the application. They are generally provided in bars of 6 or 3 metres, capped and identified with specific marking with references to the material, traceability, certifications, and any customizations requested. (For all details, refer to the Technical Manual).
The types of materials available are:
- AISI 316L STAINLESS STEEL certified for use for potable water and VdS fire-extinguishing (blue cap)
- AISI 304 STAINLESS STEEL for cooling, compressed air, and industrial applications (black cap)
- CARBON STEEL galvanized on the outside (red cap)
- CARBON STEEL galvanized on the outside and covered with polypropylene (red cap)
- CARBON STEEL galvanized inside and outside with VdS certification for Sprinkler fire-extinguishing systems (purple cap)
The sale of pipes is entrusted exclusively to Vimoter Spa, a Eurotubi Europa associated company.
For certain specific applications (VdS fire-extinguishing) it is indispensable to pair fittings and pipes produced by Eurotubi Europa.
Various types of electro-mechanical pressers are available on the market, most commonly electro-hydraulic in various versions, with or without batteries (220V – 110V – 48V). They are normally divided into 3 classes, based on the maximum applicable force:
- portable and low strength (up to 17KN), able to press up to about 28 mm in diameter;
- medium strength (up to 40KN), the most widespread and versatile, and generally able to press up to 54 mm in diameter; some models can even press up to 108 mm in diameter;
- high strength (over 40KN), suitable for pressing big size diameters (starting from 76.1 mm). They are large and heavy.
Depending on whether M or V profile fittings are used, the pressing equipment must be equipped with the respective jaw clamps and chains (different for M and V profiles).
Klauke, Novopress, and Rems are three of the primary manufacturers on the market that Eurotubi constantly checks, with proven perfect compatibility with the Eurotubi Pressfitting System.
There are other reliable manufacturers such as Ridgid, Rothenberger, Vetec, Hilti… etc., for which we invite users to consult Eurotubi Technical Service for related indications.
In any case, we recommend:
- closely following the use and maintenance methods specified by the manufacturer;
- periodically checking the integrity of the pressing profiles of chains and jaw clamps;
- frequently cleaning chains and jaw clamps using a greasing product;
- maintaining proper lubrication.
- at the end of the equipment’s life, disposing of all components, particularly batteries, according to the requirements indicated in the related legislation;
- do not mix the “M” and “V” pressing profiles.
Here are the simple operations to obtain a perfect pressfitting joint
- Cut the pipe to measure
- Deburr inside and outside the end of the pipe
- Check that there is an O-ring
- Insert the fitting in the pipe
- Mark the correct insertion depth on the pipe, with a permanent marker
- Pressing tool assembly with the jaw clamp in the corresponding diameter
- Sleeve removal
LEAKING O-RING (patented)
All fittings from Ø12mm to Ø54mm intended for conveying water, whether stainless or carbon steel, are equipped with an innovative black EPDM leaking O-ring, designed and patented by Eurotubi Europa.
This is polygonal shaped and includes a succession of tubular portions with a rectilinear axis and constant section, arranged in a rind, so that it generates several passages between the O-ring and its housing.
If the fitting was not pressed inadvertently, the profile of the O-ring allows identification of the abnormal condition both during the seal test and visually through the “leaking” of water, in compliance with Worksheet DVGW W 534. This characteristic is commonly known as Leak Before Press or LBP.
Then, once the fitting has been pressed, the O-ring easily closes all of the passages, ensuring a hermetic seal, as occurs with the traditional type.
Note. For diameters greater than 54 mm, or the three big size fittings, the “leaking” function is ensured by the use of the traditional O-ring, which was also certified in compliance with Worksheet DVGW 534.
SLEEVE - Visual indicator of missed pressing
Besides the leaking O-ring, Eurotubi has also patented another solution for preventing or easily identifying any missed pressings. This is a visual system that uses a sleeve: a thin, colourful film applied to the outside of the fittings at the shaped end prepared for the joints. This film does not compromise or interfere with assembly in any way. When the fitting is pressed, the film tears, pulling away from the metal. It takes on a wrinkled appearance, allowing easy removal by hand, without the need for any tools.
During the system inspection, the installer will quickly notice if any coloured film remains intact on the fittings, even from metres away. Therefore, it will not be necessary to physically approach all of the fittings to examine the pressings and identify any small leaks.
The colour of the film is associated to the different type of fittings: blue for fittings in the AISI 316 L stainless steel range, yellow for those in the AISI 316 L stainless steel gas range, and red for carbon steel fittings.
The sleeve is applied to all fittings from 12 to 54 mm in diameter. For big size diameters, it is superfluous since the size of the fittings allows a quick visual check of the pressings, even from a distance.